Saturday, 5 August 2017

Salogre Ravine


The park The Hills of Alcalá, also known as "The Natural Park" in Alcalá de Henares (Madrid, Spain), is a big natural area close to the city. It's a very special place for my, where you can enjoy about nature and its landscapes.

Its name comes from some of its landforms, as the hills: Ecce Homo, Malvecino ('bad-neighbour'), Honda ('sling'), Tortuga ('turtle'), etc. Other charismatic landforms are the ravines, as the Salogre Ravine or De la Zarza Ravine ('of the Bramble').

I wolud like to show you a pair of pictures I took yesterday:

HDR version

This first version is a HDR version. It's made with HDR processing over a single NEF file. I use the HDR processing to recover details in dark zones and to give personality to flat areas. I don't like to abuse of this processing. I don't like the forced results or the extreme noise. The native dynamic range of the Nikon D810 is higher than other cameras (as my Nikon D7000), so I don't win a lot with the processing (compare images below and above), but I lose quality (because of the noise).

I'm reviewing all my editing flux to find noise sources and delete them, looking for purer results. I'm thinking since time ago if I should continue using HDR processing.

Panorama version

The second one is a panorama version. There are nine pictures involved in the image above. All them are merged to build a high size image. You can notice the wider vision angle.

I've used Hugin because I think it's a great tool to make panoramas in Linux, as I commented in the past.

Taking pictures of large landscapes I thought in the relationship between they and wide angle lenses. I've arrived to places with majestic views, but in the camera they lost force. Everybody says wide angle lenses are for landscapes, but there are great landscapes photographers who use large focal lenses to catch landscapes details. On the other hand, the high mountains in the horizon are smaller with wider angle lenses.

I think there isn't a only response for landscape photography. If you want details in the horizon (a big far mountain), maybe you should use large focal lenses to view the horizon large enough. On the other hand, if you uses a 14mm lenses (as me), maybe we should set our attention in a big and interesting first plane subject, because the horizon will be too small to be the main point of interest.

I hope I remember this in my next excursion and to learn about past errors. Composition in landscape photography is a pending task for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you like these pictures? Do you want share your point of view about this post? Would you like ask me anything? Please, comment :)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...