Sunday, 23 June 2013

Testing TAMRON 90mm: macro-pictures in nature

Some days ago I told you about my new acquisition: the new Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8 SP Di VC USD. A prime macro lens with a great optic quality and magnification 1:1.
 
The Fly

Yesterday I could test it in the nature while I was taking pictures to little insects. You can view the whole gallery in my blog about wildlife photography: La Ventana Salvaje.


My previous "macro" pictures were made with my Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2. Purists of photography think only a magnification factor of "1:1" could be called "macro photography". My previous "macro lens" has a magnification factor of "1:2", so the pictures that were taken with it would be "approximation pictures", and not "macro pictures".

Independent of the nomenclature, TAMRON 90mm offers me twice the magnification of my previous TAMTON 70-300mm. Due to TAMRON 90mm is a prime lens, the image quality is also much better and It allow wider apertures for the diaphragm (f/2.8 vs f/5.6).


The aperture varies with the focus. It seems rare, but I've read something about variations on effective aperture for close focus, and it seems be habitual in macro lenses.

The depth of field is very tiny. You can focus a fly's eye with the rest of its head unfocused.


I've tried to shoot without tripod. It's possible if the light conditions are good. The biggest problem in this situation is the depth of field: put the focus in the wrong place is easier if you don't use tripod.


About composition, a macro lens is very interesting. Due to the great magnification, you can view the detail of the smaller things, or you can investigate about textures. The doors of the abstract photography are opened everywhere where you point with this lens.

I'm happy with my purchase. I'm waiting now for my extension tubes. I think it's possible to have awesome results combining both, and we will see it here in a near future.

3 comments:

  1. Great detail on the fly's eyes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kevin :)!

      These are my first attempts with this lens. I hope improve my skills with it soon :)!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Do you like these pictures? Do you want share your point of view about this post? Would you like ask me anything? Please, comment :)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...